Hello everyone! Over the past four years we have received contributions from over 100 earth scientists from around the world. These contributions have been visited over 200,000 times from over 180 countries! To assess how TravelingGeologist can better serve our readers we have put together a short 10 question survey and would appreciate if our readers could complete this survey. Results of this survey will be presented at the American Geophysical Union annual meeting in San Francisco this December as we discuss the importance of science outreach and the success of TravelingGeologist. With nearly 25,000 earth scientists from around the world the AGU fall meeting is a perfect venue to get feedback and start conversations about science outreach in a digital world.
To say ‘thank you’ to our readers who make our efforts worth it, we are hosting our first (of many) sweepstakes. We will be giving away a number of exciting items donated from several wonderful and generous companies (including Estwing, Gfeller Casemakers, Plateau Design, Rite in the Rain, Geology Superstore).
For consideration in this giveaway, complete the survey below and make sure to include your email address on the last question. See small print below for rules and regulations.
Official Rules (fine print)
1. Eligibility: The TravelingGeologist Sweepstakes (giveaway) is open only to participants over the age of 18 with access to the Internet and a valid email account. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Entry in the Sweepstakes constitutes your full and unconditional acceptance of these Official Rules. Completing the survey is not compulsory to be entered in the sweepstakes.
2. Sweepstakes Period: The sweepstakes entry period begins when the sweepstakes is posted on TravelingGeologist.com and ends at 11:59 p.m. (GMT) on 1 Dec. Winners will be selected randomly from entries properly submitted and timely received during the sweepstakes period. Entries from various countries will be selected separately.
3. Sweepstakes Entry: You may enter the sweepstakes during the sweepstakes period by using an APPROVED method of entry. The APPROVED method(s) of entry are identified in the Sweepstakes announcement and may include one or more of the following:
a. Online Survey. Visit TravelingGeologist.com and accurately complete and submit an online entry form in accordance with the on-screen instructions. Limit one entry per person or email address. No robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated entries. Multiple entries by the same entrant using different email addresses will invalidate all entries submitted by that entrant.
b. Email. You may send an email to the firstname.lastname@example.org. Limit one entry per person or email address. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email account. Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. In the event of a dispute as to any registration, the authorized account holder will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email account. The potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
4. Prizes: One prize will be awarded per selected individual. Prizes will not be replaced if lost or stolen, are not transferable and are not redeemable for cash. TravelingGeologist reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if entire prize or a portion of an advertised prize is unavailable for any reason. The reporting and payment of any tax liabilities (federal, state and local) incurred by the winner as a result of the sweepstakes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Any and all guarantees and warranties for merchandise prizes are subject to the manufacturer’s terms and conditions, and the winner agrees to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty or guarantee claim.
5. Selection of Sweepstakes Winner/Odds: The winner will be selected in a random drawing to be held on or within 5 business days after the specified end date of the sweepstakes period. The winner will be selected from all eligible entries received during the sweepstakes period. Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Sweepstakes Period. The winner will be notified via email to the email address submitted with the winner’s entry, within 5 business days after the drawing. The drawing will be conducted by Sponsor, the judge of the Sweepstakes, whose decisions on all matters relating to the Sweepstakes are final and binding. In the event that a winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award the applicable prize to an alternate winner selected at random. Any return of prize notification or prize email as undeliverable will result in forfeiture of any prize and an alternate winner may, at Sponsor’s discretion, be randomly selected.
6. Publicity: As a condition of entry into the sweepstakes, except where prohibited by law, each entrant and each winner by accepting a prize grants to Sponsor (and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns and licensees), all right, title and interest in to publicize, broadcast, display and/or otherwise use the Sweepstakes entrant’s name, city, state, and biographical material (collectively, “Licensed Rights”) in any media for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional review, compensation, permission or approval of the winner. The winner may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability and Publicity Release within 5 business days of attempted notification or the winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner selected.
7. General Rules: By entering or participating in the sweepstakes, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules, and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor is not responsible for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate information or technical failures of any kind, (b) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Sweepstakes; or (c) any other computer, network, technical, human or other error, problem or malfunction that may occur in connection with the administration of the Sweepstakes, the processing of entries, or the selection or notification of winners. Further, if, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned for reasons outside the control of the Sponsor which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes (or portion thereof), Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes (or portion thereof). Sponsor also reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify the entry of any individual found to be (i) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or any website operated by the Sweepstakes Entities; (ii) using any robotic, macro, automatic, programmed or like entry methods, which will void all such entries; (iii) violating these Official Rules or the terms of service, conditions of use, and/or general rules of any Sponsor property or service; or (iv) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any other person. Sweepstakes Entities are not responsible for claims, injuries, losses or damages of any kind resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the awarding, delivery, acceptance, use, misuse, possession, loss or misdirection of the prize; participation in the Sweepstakes or in any activity related thereto or from any interaction with, or downloading of, computer Sweepstakes information.
8. Participants’ Obligations: By participating in the sweepstakes, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor. By accepting the prize, the winner agrees to release and hold Sweepstakes Entities and their agents and affiliates harmless from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, actions and liabilities of any kind in connection with the Sweepstakes or receipt or redemption of the prize. The winner assumes all liability for any injury, death, or damage caused, or allegedly caused, by participating in the Sweepstakes or use or redemption of the prize.
9. Winner’s List: For a list of the sweepstakes winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: TravelingGeologist, 4a Cambus Court, Riverton, 6148, WA, Australia. Requests for winners’ lists must be received within 30 days after the end of the Sweepstakes Period.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.